Friday, December 16, 2005

Temptations

No, I'm not referring to the 70s music band. But I'm talking about the root of all evil....well, not to me that is; money.
Its my off day today, after a horrendous 3 days at work. Sometimes, the days get so tough I can't imagine having to go thru it 5 days straight. Thats one good thing about working shifts I guess. If you were to ask me to work 5 days straight taking one arduos call after another, I would go insane.
But back to the point. As you can see from today's date. Its already the 16th of December. Which means, the mid-month's pay cheque is already in. And now its only the wait for the year end's bonus.
Still, this is where bad habits come into play.
Already on my shopping list is the all-magnificent PSP. I was planning to get this baby with my year end bonus , but not before; as I have to control my expenditure even when the mid-month's pay is in. You'll never know when you need emergency cash.
However.........today being my off day; thoughts ran wild and I have been contemplating to blow $500 and just buy the PSP asap. Thats the bad thing about some people I guess. Whole year round, we complain that we don't have money but still we could do without alot of things. But the moment you have money thrown your way......you start to think of ways to spend the money!
You'll start to contemplate on buying items that you'll never need and saving it is the furthest thing on your mind. Then again, you give yourself reasons why you need to buy that item; whether its true or not.
C'mon, I'm sure everyone has felt this way at one point in time right? A friend mentioned to me once, "All humans are like that. We earn $1, we spend $1. We earn $100, we spend $100". Which is true. Heard of paradox of thrift?
The moment your level of income increases, you would like to increase the standards of your living as well. When you earn $2000 a month, you live comfortably in a HDB. But when you earn $20,000 a month, you would want to stay in a nice house eventhough you were confortably living in a HDB previously.
I'm sure in a small way all of you would agree with me on this.
Still, today I'm happy to report I haven't blown my pay cheque yet; but I did spend $300 today. Went to the optician today and got myself a new pair of glasses. But this my friends, is something I can claim back as part of my flexi-benefits from my company. So, not so bad.
But.....come to think of it..........I think I'm gonna buy the Motorola V3 also.....
Errrrrrr.....
What??!?!?! I need a second phone for my Malaysian SIM what??!?!

No comments: