Friday, April 21, 2006

The Impossible Fever

"This mission...just got impossibler"
- Ben Stiller
The fever's back. Its Mission Impossible time and everyone's starting to talk about it.
So, what can we expect from the 3rd installment of the seriously popular TV series back from the 70s? Well, nothing similar.
I used to remember long long time ago I would sit infront of the TV eagerly waiting for M:I to be shown on TV. If I'm not mistaken, it was always on a Thursday afternoon around 4.30pm.
M:I is all about the Impossible Missions Force - an elite and covert action team employed by the US govenment. Every episode of the series would start by James Phelps, played by lagendary actor Peter Graves receiving orders from the government from some black laptop thats hidden in some inconspicious location. And once the orders were given then came the famous tag line...."This message will self-distruct in 10 seconds". After that, it was history in the making....the insanely-unmistakable theme song that starts with the light of a match stick.
So, a few years later....the series was made into a movie, starring none other than Tom Cruise. And what did I think of it?
For one thing, it still had that classic intrigue/drama/covert/espionage feel to it. Though, the only complain about it was, the villian. Among everything....they made James Phelps the villian!!! I was like ......$%&^*@!!!!
WTF?!?!? The intellectual leader of the IMF!! The man that signifies M:I in its essence! The man that is the very core of the M:I series for the past 20 years! And now.....he's the bad guy. Sheesh.
But then, not long after that. Came M:I 2. Even worse. Long gone was the feel that M:I was all about covert ops. There were 2 main stars in that movie, Tom Cruise and his hair. Thruout the whole movie it was only him swinging his hair from left to right.
I guess you can say that I'm pretty dissapointed with the whole M:I thingy going to the silver screens. At least the first one was kinda bearable.
So now; we can only see what happens in this upcoming episode 3. Still, you can't deny that whenever any movie buff hears the words Mission Impossible, their hearts go pumping.
The hype is already here. Just the other day, Cathay had a competition going on - the couple that turns up with uber cool shades like Tom Cruise and Maggie Q; if they win the audience votes, they will be sent to Prague to catch the premier of the movie. Sweet deal huh?
And following on.... I just saw this while I was on my way out for lunch. Local chinese products vendor, Yue Hwa had this to offer.
For every purchase over $300 of Yue Hwa products, you will get free a M:I3 poster! WTF?!!?!?
I can see it now.....old aunties and old uncles in shades queing up to buy tonnes of chinese herbs and pottery just to get their hands on Tom Cruise's poster.
To Yue Hwa, I have this to say...truly....Mission IMPOSSIBLE.

No comments: