Sunday, January 15, 2006

Tong-tong-cheang!!!!

The tong-tong-cheang has finally arrived!!!!!~

Its that time off the year again. Irritating high-pitched brats on TV and radio singing Chinese New Year songs, money in red packets (whoever first came out with this idea was a genius!!), family reunions and ALOT of BAK-KUA!!!

Hehe...and I'm one happy boy.

I've always looked forward to Chinese New Year's celebrations. I've never thought much of in the past. But ever since I came to Singapore nearly 3 years ago, I've learned to treasure what it truly means to be with your family during those reunion dinners.


All I could remember about those pesky dinners was there were a whole lot of uncles and aunties, and I could never remember all thier names or salutations. First uncle, second uncle, third uncle and bla bla bla.....

sheesh.....and coming from a Hakka family....the wrong salutation could mean disrespect!!!!

So wat do I do? just put on a smirk....and...*SMILE* HELLO HELLO....

Still, to me now chinese new year is more about bitching how small the ang pow that $%%#@ uncle gave me. But now its more about seeing my family again. Its the only time of the year when I go home, everyone's around.

Aneeeee-way....woke up at 2pm (yeah....don't ya just love it?) today. Too lazy to do anything, I just laze on my bed watching TV till about 5pm. After that, the inevitable happened...

I needed to go to the toilet. And of course, I was famished as well......stomach was growling to no end.

Soon, I manage to drag myself out of the house and.....damn, BIG mistake.

Forgot it was a Saturday - seeing that I don't get off on Saturdays often - there were hundreds of people around!!!!!! You see, when you live in Chinatown, and Chinese New Year is about 2 weeks away.......all hell breaks loose.

Err...ok, ok. "Hell" might not be the best word to use during CNY. But seriously, there were so many people, I had to practicallypush my way thru the crowd just to get by.

Co-incidetanlly......I had my camera with me. Haha....right.


I manage to snap a few pics, and I guess you can say....in all things festive; Chinese New year is in FULL SWING!!!~

Twas' it is the year of the dog....








As you can see, people are literally flooding into Chinatown










The stage is being prepped for the annual CNY celebrations. In many ways, till they close off the roads, the celebrations havent even started. They're really throwing everything into this year's celebrations....even the kitchen sink.

And of course, the "annual" mad rush for Lim CHee Guan Bak-Kuas. I've been living in Chinatown for almost 3 years and I havent even tasted these bak-kuas. But still, people come as early as 8am and queue up till 1pm to buy these pieces of meat!

Ha! hmmmm, maybe I'll attempt to buy some this year.

No comments: