Sunday, April 17, 2005

Mediocrity

Life is a chance. Life is a risk. Life is a gamble. And the stakes are getting higher as you're getting older.

I always believe that our youth is our most precious commodity. Why? Cos, if you think seriously about it, this is the time in our life that we really have nothing to lose. And if we lose, we still have time to gain back what we have lost. Time is on our side.

And that is also why, I always tell my friends, "While we're still young, take all the risk."

Was chatting with a friend the other day, and we're contemplating on starting our own business. I guess, when you have something that you can call your own, it really means something to you. A sign of success; or an achievement you may call it. But at the end, you're your own boss and make or break, you only have yourself to answer for it. While we're still in our prime, we have no obligations, no wife, no kids...this is the perfect time. And hey...if we lose and fall, we just have to pick ourselves up and try again. No harm done. And in the process, we learn something.

Think about it, can we afford to take the risk when we have house mortgages to pay, tuition fees for our kids, bills and installment payments? Definately, that would be a resounding no.

Now, you would also ask, why take the risk. Ask yourself, why not?

We can always play it safe and lead a mediocre life. Then again, what's the fun in that? We are put here in this world to do something. To achieve something. Day in and day out, people go about their lives. But do we want to be like everyone else? By all means, make the best of it. Take life head on...and take all the risk....while we can afford it. Be someone. Be known. Be remembered.

Do or die, nobody knows. All I know is that, we will never make it big if we stay complacent. And the older we get, the more complacent we become.

Deep inside of me, I have the strive to do something about my life. I want to come to a point, where I can proudly say....this is where I want to be and I am contented. Everytime, when I head back to Penang, my friends always tell me, "Seems like you're doing well for yourself. Bet you must be happy." But honestly? I'm not. Eventhough I am financially comfortable with where I am; still, this is not the level that I want to be at. Hence, in many ways, sometimes I tell myself that I'm not happy because human nature is like that, when we're comfortable, the drive, the fire and the determination wears down. We have to constantly fuel our hunger for success and self-fulfillment.

We only have one life, one youth, one chance. Our lives should never be mediocre. It should be unforgettable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I also think living life is also about risk management, and those who are good at it - come out at the top.

Out of curiousity, what kind of music do you listen to?

- Jan

S said...

Just do it. Whatever "it" is! :)

I am contemplating living my dreams as a piano playing singer as well.