Monday, October 17, 2005

Same ol' misty feeling....

Came back pretty early today. Don was on his way to Orchard, and he gave me a lift to town. From there on, I guess it was pretty near to get home.

As usual, whenever I come home early, its just another TV dinner. Was watching Blown Away while munchin on my Zinger burger. I've seen this old movie years ago, and I thought to myself....this is quite a good movie! They don't seem to make movies like this anymore.

After the movie, I started to do one of my favourite past times.....reading up on the lastest gadgets and......be a busy body and read people's blogs. Hey, sue me...like I've mention, if you don't have a life, you read about other people's life.

So, there I was....reading on people's blogs. But soon after reading a few blogs, I started to feel nostalgic. Almost everyone was blogging about how happy they are.......in their relationships. The way most of them describe it seems like they are in a fairy tale.

It was only today I read in the papers that singles in Singapore have it tough. This writer mentioned that normally during festive seasons like Raya and Deepavalli, the celebrants are usually granted to take their annual leave during this whole week of public holidays. Next, then priority is given to married couples as the government is encouranging procreation amongst couples. Go figure.

So, who is left to hold the fort? Singles. And this also means that......we, as singles don't get time to go clubbing, hangout with friends or socialize. Its the end of our love life. And to add salt to the wound, singles don't get any tax rebates from the government like childcare, education and ect. Hence, its like singles are being taxed to subsidize married couples. And further, in Chinese families, normally the unmarried son is assumed to have less obligations and commitments, hence he is expected to contribute to the parents more.

Though, all of the above is besides the point. I guess after reading all those lovey dovey blogs, I start to ask myself will I ever make any girl that happy. Will I ever be a good boyfriend? Or, am I even a good boyfriend material?

Sigh....when I ask those questions and reflect on my past, I'm afraid that all those questions will be answered with a resounding NO. I don't think I will be able to make a girl feel that way. When I see pics of couples together, they seemed so.....perfect. Happy. The smiles they exude is priceless. Its the epitome of hapiness.

I look thru my pics? Nothing in sight. Then again, I only took 1 or 2 pics with my ex despite being together for 2 years. Maybe now I know why.

Still, after all this while I still believe in the thing called love. Call me a hapless romantic anytime. Its just that my confidence level about love and romance have taken a plunge in recent months. Not that I'm complaining. Truth be told, its been a while now since I've even thought about relationships.

Also, another thing that sets me thingking is why do all the nice girls go for bad boys?!? Its true isn't it? I've seen alot of it, for a few exceptions of course. But my parents raised me to be a nice person and to be a gentlemen to the ladies. However, if I'd knew better, I'd smoke pot, drink and gamble to my hearts content when I was growing up. Then, I'll still be able to go home to a nice warm loving girlfriend/wife.

Hmmm....then again, I'll leave this topic for another time.

No comments: